Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Self Portraiture

For the first time in my life I am creating a body of work (9 months+) with myself as the constant. The topics will range from Idenity, to Body, to Time. I can't quite decide why I've decided to challange myself by deciding to photograph myself, but I am going to try my best to stick with it. It has been very difficult for many reasons, one I am my own worst critic, two I can not stand seeing myself in pictures/ getting my picture taken, and three it is extremely more difficult to work with a camera, tripod, remote, timer, and myself as the model then it would be to have someone infront of me to place, pose, and instruct.  With all that said, I have been putting in tons and tons of shooting time, planning, and searching for inspiration. And so far I am enjoying it so, so very much.
    I also am mounting them on wood and using encaustic wax to alter them. I've been working on 2 so far and am going to kingston tomorrow (where the encaustic studio is) to begin two more. It has to be the most therapeutic enjoyable process I've yet to come across. I absolutely love it. You can learn more about encaustic painting and photography here.

   I won't reveal my theory or artist statement until the very end, because letting that out too early is always risky, but I would like to post work as I progress, and maybe the finished encaustics at the end, when they are finished. As well as personal projects, and other class work mixed in from time to time.




























No comments:

Post a Comment